Awards and Organizations
- West Virginia Bar
- U.S. District Court – Northern District of West Virginia
- U.S. District Court – Southern District of West Virginia
- West Virginia Bar Association Judicial Campaign Advertising Committee
- University of Charleston Board of Trustees; Vice Chair Outreach Committee
- Distinguished Service Award, West Virginia Association for Justice (WVAJ)
Bernie Layne traces his affinity for helping injured clients to his youth in the coal mining community of Williamson, WV. He has never forgotten that there are others who are disadvantaged or disabled and in need of help through the legal system. He has become a highly successful protector of the rights of injured working class West Virginians throughout the Mountain State.
After earning a master’s degree in Sociology, Layne worked in Southern West Virginia with the Title 19 Medicaid Waiver Program, which provides nursing home-level services to the elderly, blind and disabled of Appalachia. The legal obstacles these disadvantaged individuals faced inspired him to attend law school.
Since earning his Juris Doctor from the University of Dayton School of Law in 1999, Layne has remained committed to preserving the rights of the injured and disadvantaged. He has successfully taken on corporate asbestos producers and coal mining companies, and the Social Security Administration on behalf of those seeking their Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits. He has also resolved wrongful death cases involving children, medical negligence and poorly designed products.